Sunday, September 16, 2018

Personal Interest and Opportunity Identification

      Now that I have had the chance to get my feet wet as a teacher librarian in the same library for the past 4 years, I definitely have ideas of what I want to see happen in our school library and for libraries in our district.  I still feel overwhelmed with how much I need to get done, would like to get done, and even knowing where to start!  I am very fortunate to have 3 other TLs that together with me, have come together to receive inquiry grant money to pursue our library interests and issues.  We hope more newbie TLs in our district join us this year!  So far we have all started transitioning our libraries into library learning commons, brought our LSA for TLs back to life, and started advocating our TL role at the school board level.  So moving forward, my main long term interest is to complete the transition of my library to a learning commons.  Also, this past year I was working at increasing indigenous resources (specifically pertaining to our local band) in our library to better support teachers, but this goal is certainly an ongoing issue.  One other interest last year for me was trying to incorporate more inquiry based learning in our school.  Last year it was small scale, collaborating with the three of us that taught grade 7 science and we made a solid start.  I am hoping to go BIGGER with inquiry based learning this year.  I have a few more teachers at various grades showing interest so I hope this will be an opportunity for me to get this rolling and work towards being a school wide approach k-7.
https://teacherevolution.me/tag/inquiry-based-learning/

      Of my three main interests (library learning commons, indigenous resources, inquiry based learning), digital technologies could be part of each.  I am tending to lean towards gaining information about inquiry based learning because I feel like it matches how our redesigned curriculum, is how students of this century are learning, and because I would like to extend the work I started last year. 
https://www.teachthought.com/critical-thinking/10-benefits-of-inquiry-based-learning/
I like the idea of me being a learner alongside my colleagues and students and feel that inquiry based learning promotes lifelong learners of our students.  Digital technologies that could contribute to enhance my students’ learning in regards to inquiry based learning are ample: internet searches, learning to do safe searches, finding valid search sites, virtual field trips, skyping, videos, VR goggles, and podcasts.  Students sharing their learning can use any technology our school has to offer (iPads, chromebooks, laptops) or that of our school district, such as 3D printing, to create awareness and make a difference with their learning.   All areas of the BC Curriculum across the grades and subjects have the potential to be related to my interest.  I think my school, district and province all see the value of problem solving, team teaching and critical thinking that is gained through inquiry based learning.  I believe that this systematic approach of learning how to learn will be engaging for all the students in my school and will also provide me with new challenges and a chance to grow in my learning, too!
  • Key words: inquiry based learning, learning in depth, Kieran Egan, k-7, aged 5-13, school wide, library, learning commons, creating good questions, critical thinking, culture of inquiry, points of inquiry, facilitating inquiry based learning, technology, assessing inquiry, collaboration, learner centered


2 comments:

  1. Lots and lots for you to explore here! Your blog post does a good job outlining the current state of your school, your library program and some of your goals for the year coming up. Narroing things down a little bit will help you be more efficient, as well as searching in some different spaces (Social media, youtube, blogosphere, etc) can help you with some new ideas and models. Your goal to take inquiry even bigger across the school is great and to scale up, you may need to implement some of the new technology you describe. A good first start to your inquiry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple more colleagues on board to join me this year so it should be a good growing year!

    ReplyDelete