Saturday, November 17, 2018

First Impression


      
retrieved from:
http://www.quotemaster.org/good+first+impression
      While working on my vision of the future this week, I found that my biggest audience focus is ending up being my students.  I originally had started with the idea of making videos of technology and makerspacers available in our library space for teachers on my staff.  I had to back up a bit and first create a library homepage that would house these videos.  I still plan to do this to include teachers in my targeted audience.  However, I had spent quite a bit of time exploring others library websites to determine what would and wouldn’t meet the needs of my learning community and have made my major focus to be my students and how best to meet their learning needs.  I want to create a safe, curated place for students to go to do research and be able to have all their reading needs met.  When I have all student comfortable using my site, they will be great leaders bringing teachers and parents to it!   With school wide inquiry being a focus for our school this year, I want students to have a place and space specific resource.  Students using this site will see how they have access to the library and resources 24/7 and that learning can be extended beyond the walls of the library.  I know I like a user friendly site, so I need to create the same for students so all ages can find what they need from a simple format. 
retrieved from:
 http://www.sd22.bc.ca/school/coldstream/
Pages/default.aspx
      My main target at this time in our 3 week time frame is my students, however, my library webpage will eventually target all in our learning community.  After investigating websites this past week, I spent some time looking at what makes a good website.  Thoughtco says it well as to the value of a good website: that first impression is an opportunity to highlight the school’s best qualities and to show how welcoming the school community is to all stakeholders – parents, educators, students, and community members.   Teachers are my second targeted audience members.  As time continues I will extend out to the parents in our learning community.  Teachers, like my students, will have 24/7 access to all resources in one place.  Parents can see the happenings at the school and have an insight as to how learning is for a 21st century learner. 
School Web Masters talks about a website as being one of the most effective tools a school has to improve communication, engage parents, market its strengths, and build a trusting reputation within its community.  SO many reasons to make a good first impression with a good library website!


References

Bennett, C. (2017). Importance of Keeping School Websites Updated. Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/schools-website-first-impression-7655
What makes the best school websites?. (2018). Retrieved from https://www.schoolwebmasters.com/Blog_Articles?entityid=375456


4 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting how things turn out. I thought initially that I would consider doing something for my students but it worked out to be really more for teacher colleagues and yours was the opposite. I really like that you are providing an opportunity for kids to access resources in a safe manner. That is one of my biggest concerns in elementary school and I spend hours bookmarking sites that have appropriate content. Now, your students will be able to access it and know that it's educationally sound. Can't wait to see the final product...or, the work in progress (as I explained to Aaron..there will still be lots to do!). Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good discussion and description of your evolving goals and audience for this final vision project. Your thinking clearly shares that you have thought about who will benefit the most and how best to support and grow your community. I think this is a good plan and will go a long way to showcasing and building up usage and support of your program by expanding it to support students and families from a distance, 24/7. Looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I echo Alison's comment that I my own plans have also shifted focus. I had originally intended to include both students and staff as the target audience, but my focus seems to be shifting towards teachers. I am thinking that if teachers are comfortable with the digital resources they will begin to help students access these as well. I may still change my mind about this as I dig into the project, but for the moment that is what my own thoughts are. Your post reminds me that there are always other ways to approach similar challenges.

      Delete