Sunday, November 4, 2018

Looking Back and Looking Forward


      I am excited with the many, many ideas and blogs, posts and research we have piled through this month.  The best part of it all for me is that it is applicable to the work I am doing!  It made this course not feel like a hoop to jump through, but one where I have tonnes of takeaways, lots to be interested in, and lots I have already incorporated into my work.
      One new avenue for development for me personally is that just this week I received another inquiry grant from my school district.  The grant is for my little TL group in which we began as an inquiry group working to transition our libraries to a learning commons.  This year we are collecting resources and sharing with each other our learning.  This is a huge help to me professionally as I am given time to talk, share, discuss, and learn with fellow TLs.  I feel I learn LOTS from simple conversations.  
      We will continue our march on towards becoming a full library learning commons and are almost there.  There are so many ideas I gathered from this last month, such as Book Clubs or Book of the Month to continue the development of the reading culture in our school community. 
retrieved from:
https://fernie.bc.libraries.coop/adult-book-club-books/
Our group also hopes to bring in a neighbouring district guru, Amber Hartwell, to help inspire other teachers in our district to transition their libraries and give us guidance, as well.  I like the idea of having my own personal inquiry in that I am modelling the process for colleagues in our school, just as we embark on a school wide inquiry process.  Another area for me to development in my own practice is staying on top of an efficient and practical way to curate resources.  I think heading forward I hope that my library webpage will hopefully house resources through links, my blog, and twitter.
      Moving forward from what I learned this month is I will be sharing out!  I had thought about it briefly before, but my biggest takeaway is definitely the importance of sharing out and how not just others benefit from it, but me too! 
retrieved from:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00998J5YQ
Richardson (2012, p.387) named reasons that teachers don’t share out, from fear to a culture of competition in schools, but I feel the biggest factor for me is time.  Really the lack of time is my issue.  However, sharing out with fellow local librarians, colleagues, and other TLs is an area needing growth for me, one that I can attain, and one that will help me professionally, as well.  A quote from Paige Bredenkamp found in fellow wolf Karla Germaine’s blog has stuck with me since I read it: “Knowledge is the result of interactions and experiences through connected networks in a community”.
      I have some highlights of learning I have gained from others over this past month and one is that it is time, past time, to have a blog and active twitter account for my school.  Although twitter has not been my favourite social media form (I don’t feel I have time to sort through what people had for breakfast to find things of interest to me), I do like being able to get snapshot ideas.  It is growing on me now that I found some that are specific to teaching and like the quick snippet idea.  Two new accounts I am now following are from Hannah's blog : https://twitter.com/bctla  and Darryl Beck's blogGeorge Couroswhich both provide professional and thought provoking ideas.  I still feel blogs are more valuable overall to me and I have appreciated blogging with my fellow wolves.  For me it is the discussion feel, like a conversation, that I am drawn towards.   I also like the building on the plentiful array of ideas.  I give an idea, but others tag in and say…”I also tried this”, which is a little new tweak to something I had just done.  It adds a fresh zing to add onto an idea.  Every single blog post from my colleagues has had a little idea or two I have either incorporated already or hope to do.  For example, as TLs we are always looking for a perfect book for someone and ask questions of them, “what did you last read?  What is your favourite book?” etc., but I have tried Hannah’s reader personality test and students had fun with that.  They were shocked to see that some of the books recommended to them from the test they had already read so the simple quiz seemed to work for many.  Thanks to Alison's blog for 2 peas and a dog blog, which I now like to peruse.  Another tidbit idea from Karla’s blog, which is still rumbling around in my head, is about helping students and colleagues with their PLNs.  I have been focused on me, but Karla shared the ideas of Irene Hanreates and her ideas which has me thinking of how important sharing out is, the need to model it, to work on my own PLN, but to help others gain the benefits of this, too. 
retrieved from: https://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/pln-define/
      The one topic that resonated with me most this past month is in regards to how I will continue my own professional development.  This is my last library course and it scares me a bit to become stagnant.  So often you see a teacher teaching the same grade and same material year after year.  They are doing what they know well, but not updating or challenging themselves with something new.  It isn’t enough to go to a pro-d day, but in a role as TL I can do so much more to be inspired and to inspire.

References

12 Ways a School Librarian Can Help Teachers - 2 Peas and a Dog. (2018). Retrieved from https://2peasandadog.com/2018/07/12-ways-a-school-librarian-can-help-teachers.html
BCTLA (@bctla) on Twitter. (2018). Retrieved from https://twitter.com/bctla
Beck, D. (2018). Mr. B's Blog. Retrieved from http://kidstonkokanee.blogspot.com/
Couros, G. (2018). George Couros (@gcouros) on Twitter. Retrieved from https://twitter.com/gcouros?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Cuthill, A. (2018). LIBE 477: Special Topics in Teacher Librarianship - New Media and Technology in the School Library. Retrieved from https://critiquelecture.wordpress.com/
Germaine, K. (2018). Reflections of a New Teacher Librarian. Retrieved from http://kargermaine.blogspot.com/
Reader Personality Types - A Book And A Hug. (2018). Retrieved from https://abookandahug.com/reader-types/
Richardson, W. (2012). Why school. New York, NY: TED Conferences.
Wilson, H. (2018). Hannah's Learning Library. Retrieved from http://hannahslearninglibrary.blogspot.com/



5 comments:

  1. Rehtaeh, I love how you have mentioned what you have learned from many of the wolves in this blog post. I might have done the same but felt I could be at my desk all day if I were to include everything I have learned from not only our wolf-pack, but also other members of this class (I sometimes read blog posts from the other groups). I've also really found the blogs inspirational. Thanks for mentioning me in your post this week and for the many great posts you have contributed as well. I feel exactly the way you do regarding Twitter. I'd like to give it an honest effort despite not being immediately a fan. Good luck on phase three of this course - your very last one! I'm excited for you that you are so near to finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Karla! So nice to hear all the shout outs and ways we have helped each other with ideas to go out and try right away. I connected with your reflection about sharing with others. I agree that it is always TIME that works against us when it coms to sharing with others. Teachers are juggling so many balls in the air at one time that adding another ball to the mix feels impossible at times. I don't think there is every a perfect solution to that problem but I think sharing even the smallest ideas as you think of it can be the most effective. Quick emails or staffroom chats seem to be my chosen method most often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your insights from the course. I am so pleased that you were able to make it applicable to your job. I find that's the most challenging aspect of the Library Diploma course is the, perhaps assumption, that the teachers are already TLs. I hope to be in the future and reading ideas from my course colleagues' blogs has really helped me get a clearer understanding of what it might be like (I know I have done a lot of bookmarking in google lately!). An aspect from your blog posts that I truly appreciated was the Me to We information. Since your posting, I have researched the adult volunteer trips as a way of participating in a community that needs help. Thanks for introducing me to their projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very life changing for all the students that get involved with Me to We!

      Delete
  4. Well done reflection post! Your honest, authentic sharing of your key highlights, new awareness and big goals moving forward are all helpful to others reading your blog. Your minor concern of finishing up the diploma and then wondering how to stay engaged and exploratory will sort itself out, with opportunities for your LSA to grow and your balanced use of social networks should go a long way to keeping you connected. A thorough and detailed discussion of all your new learning in the last month or so!

    ReplyDelete